4 Campion Terrace
Royal Leamington Spa
CAMRA ‘Pub of the Year’
The Somerville Arms is a thriving, busy, drinkers pub.
The pub is named after Lord Somerville, who, after a successful career as a captain in the Royal Navy, retired to Leamington in the 1830's. He remained a prominent member of Leamington society until his death, at Newbold Comyn, in 1864.
Richard Luscombe became the first recorded licensee in 1864 when the pub was listed as being in Queen Street. However, it may well have previously operated as a beer house
Originally the Somerville had three rooms – a bar, with a sawdust floor, a tap room for women only and a smoke room or snug for men and accompanied women.
In May 1880, a large explosion occurred in the tap room causing a great deal of excitement in the neighbourhood. Emily Fisher, a domestic servant, was setting coals in the fire grate when the explosion occurred, blowing her backwards and causing serious injuries to her arms and legs. Windows were blown out and the grate shattered. It was thought that a small amount of dynamite had come with the coals from the pit.
In the 1950's extensive alterations were carried out to make a large front bar. A comfortable back lounge was created in 1973. The landlord would charge customers more for their drinks if they wished to use this lounge.
One of the longest serving landlords was John Chater, who ran the pub with his wife, Barbara, from 1969 until 1999. John was an ex policeman from Rugby and could tell many fascinating stories about the Somerville.
In July 2009, the Somerville Arms became part of the Everards Brewery Estate. Everards carried out an extensive refurbishment, preserving most of the pubs original features and successfully retaining its Victorian charm.
So welcome to this delightful pub and “Abound in hops all ye who enter here”.
The Licensee is Paul Blatchly, who with his wife Kay, welcome you. . .
. . . Not forgetting ‘BabyCat’!